Thursday 2 July 2020

Whatever happened to JP?

So, my last post was on the 3rd of March, a couple of weeks before this whole Covid-19 stupidness kicked off. Our children were sent home from school, businesses had to hurriedly readjust, social distancing became a thing and civilisation all-but collapsed for the want of a supermarket delivery slot. 

Terribly, our next game of Frostgrave was postponed and I was obliged to work (and teach my children) from home, which meant any tables I might have been eyeing up for some lockdown painting and solo-gaming were instead requisitioned as makeshift offices and classrooms.

Meanwhile we struggled to keep our nerve while my significant other, a member of the medical profession, watched and worried as her colleagues began to test positive for the virus and we spent a fraught couple of weeks looking out for symptoms in the household.

Alas the crisis is not yet over, although restrictions are slowly being lifted and we no longer have to scavenge for nuts, berries and click & collect appointments at Morrisons, but the dining room table is still groaning under the weight of laptops and textbooks.

So, no wargaming for me, but happily I have been able to continue with my roleplaying sessions; something I had been getting into a lot pre-Coronavirus.

Our monthly-ish face-to-face Call of Cthulhu sessions have moved to a bi-weekly slot over the internet, using Roll20 for dice rolling and Facebook Messenger for voice (Discord is apparently the chat server of choice but I and a couple of my fellow gamers have issues with the sound quality).

I have also really got into Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th edition) – basically a grim and gritty alternative to D&D in which PCs start off as squishy low-level plebs (something all CoC players will appreciate). Again, we use Facebook Messenger for voice, but use Foundry VTT for the dice rolling etc. (we originally used Roll20 and it looks like the makers of WRFP4e are in talks with the folk behind this platform, so we may migrate back).

Both games are great, seat-of-your-pants fun as we avoid getting killed, maimed, driven insane or otherwise subjected to unpleasantness, whilst trying to solve whatever mystery and defeat whatever horrible fiend is laid before us by our erstwhile GMs (Sean and Ad respectively, who must both be congratulated on doing a fantastic job so far).

All this leads me to a question for you, dear follower. I have been publishing accounts of our Call of Cthulhu games on the members-only Yog-Sothoth forum (keeping notes is quite useful in our investigations). In an attempt to add some more semi-regular content on this blog, would you like me to copy these reports onto Tales of Frostgravery?

I’ve not been taking notes during out Warhammer Roleplay sessions, but I could always dredge my memory and write the occasional summary of them too. Again, would this be something you’d like to see?

Until next time, stay safe, follow your local guidelines and don’t book the 3:30 PM delivery slot!

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your all well & staying healthy. I am sure anyone who has a spouse working the front lines for this pandemic is constantly on edge. Stay the course! I would be happy to see the shenanigans of your COC & WHFRP games, are you also snagging photos of said events? I've always been an eye candy, place your character where they are kind of player even in D&D & COC back when we played in the 80's. Cheers JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate (hope you and yours are well). There won't be much in the way of photos alas, but I'll try to add one or two.

      Delete
  2. These are definitely very strange times we're living in aren't they? I've actually also been dabbling in a little remote RPG action, so I would definitely be interested in reading about yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to your question, yes I would love to read of your exploits playing Cthulhu or WFRpg, both systems are great. Can I also say thanks for all the commitment both yourself and your other half have put into coping with covid :-)

    ReplyDelete